Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 10

WE'VE BOUGHT SOME PROPS!

Pretty exciting. We have a whole pile of blankets, fabrics, hats, jackets, and shirts. We found a wonderful thrift store nearby and managed to strike a couple deals, which is important considering the fact that we're balling on a budget here at Sparrow Theater Company.

I had a chance to speak with Kali Quinn, a director I worked with last spring. Her and I talked over the phone while I cooked up some orange tofu for dinner. It was invigorating to hear her brief take on what I had told her about the work we're doing on Vacant Lots. It really made me realize what a professional she is. She was able to bring fresh air and positivity over the phone line.

More generally, I think it showed Tina and I how important it is to break out of our small two person circle during this rehearsal process. I can't wait to share this project with others.

We also sat down to decide our invitation list today, which was a little grueling. We have a very specialized format for the show and it requires that we have a small number of audience members. I think the format is exciting and it will allow for a rich theatrical experience but it is difficult to chose who will be there! The struggle is this: there are loved ones who would love to support us and we would love to have their support, but we can't allow the whole audience to be family and friends. It is vital for us that the audience be diverse both as individuals and in their relationships with us as actors. We hope to perform this piece more than once, but for now we have to make some difficult choices about how to shape this premier audience.

-CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment