Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 2


First full day of play! We met some lovely characters, played with some sun hats and a huge daisy umbrella, read some Wittengstein text and discussed creation-destruction-potential as a cheesy topic. I think of sex, war, and babies. Which is kind of silly. I guess “CDP” seems so vast. So overwhelming. By lunch I was feeling slightly direction-less. I wasn’t sure of my own opinion regarding CDP other than I notice it in all aspects of my life…(see still super super vague). I was searching for something to sink my teeth into. 

And it happened, a “what if” moment over a lame tuna sandwich. 

What if our show is about moving to Detroit? The stereotypes, the assumptions, the warnings and lectures we’ve received, the look of sheer horror, the “you better get some pepper spray.” We specifically avoided making a show about Detroit from the moment this opportunity presented itself. We avoided like the plague because we didn’t want to be these two twenty-something white artists preaching about a city we know nothing about. (Although everyone else seems to have an opinion about the city) 

I repeat: We know nothing about the REAL Detroit, but we know a lot about what its like to tell people you’re moving there.
                                                                                               
-Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment